Monday, January 11, 2010

Happy Birthday and Prost, Christel! Have a Weizen on me, and a Weizen for me.

All last week the last therapy of the day was at 1330 in the Bewegungsbad, or exercise pool. The pool is five feet deep, the size of my living room, and is not to be occupied by more than four people at a time. And, lest you wish to incur the wrath of Frau Schaefer, you will arrive early so as not to create a backup for the shower which you will use before and after entering the pool. Once in the water, you're led through a variety of exercises designed to be therapeutic, and less painful, because of the buoyancy factor. Unfortunately, everything I do in the pool numbs my leg. Herr Wrigley, put this noodle (one of those long tubular floaty things)between your legs and make like a bicycle ...Nope, that makes my leg numb. Okay Herr Wrigley, put one noodle behind your back, another noodle under your knees, and stretch your legs out with your toes pointed and then bend your legs back with your toes up ...Sorry, numb again. Okay Herr Wrigley, make with the floundering around the pool until we figure out what the hell we do with you ... Actually, that's pretty painful too. Herr Wrigley, hit the showers!

Today they decided to replace the Bewegungsbad with the Stangerbad. I spent 20 minutes searching for the definition of Stanger before my roommate told me it's the name of the guy who invented it. It looks like a giant bathtub with what I thought were jets all the way around the inside, kind of like those individual whirlpools you see football players in after a game. It turns out the jets are metal plates that send an electric current through the water. Now I know why she asked me if I had any metal in my body. The longer I stayed in it, the better I felt. I was so relaxed (remember?, on my back, eyes closed, dark room)I nearly slipped my head under the water until I remembered I still had my glasses on. Doesn't seem like something you should forget to tell somebody.

This is the restaurant where Jake and I had dinner last night. It's a half timber house with a modern twist. The front has been restored to it's original look, while the sides and back have been replaced with glass. Not so much replaced as covered over. The timbers remain, but the mortar that was between them has been removed. There are better pictures on their website www.das-glaswerk.de

What I learned today: Villa Lilly, the former vacation home of Adolphus Busch, co-founder of the largest brewing company in America since 1957, is now a drug and alcohol rehabilitation center. Isn't it ironic?

1 comment:

  1. It's a good thing you didn't slip under the water in the Stangerbad. If your glasses have any metal in them, your disc may have been the least of your problems.
    Bill

    ReplyDelete