Monday, January 18, 2010

Before I even began writing "Life On Tap", I had already decided I wouldn't use it as a forum to vent, either one way or the other, on the cultural differences between Germany and the United States. The following is not a comparison. It is simply the way things are here in my adopted homeland.

The German word "Ordnung" means order, or orderliness. It also encompasses a greater meaning of establishing or following an order, or set of rules. Germans live by many rules, some better than others. Many of the rules, and the abiding of said rules, (The Dude Abides) are what make this such a great country to live in. I don't know whether a lot of these rules are actually laws, or whether they're just unwritten codes of conduct. For a German, the embarrassment of being caught, or seen breaking these rules by one's neighbors (or the general public for that matter), far outweighs that incurred from receiving a ticket from a policeman for breaking a real law.

Arguably the most important example of Ordnung is the Ruhezeit, or quiet time. This is between 1300-1500 and 2200-6000 Monday through Friday, and all day on Sunday. It is understood that musical instruments are not to be played during the midday pause, and between 1900-0800. If you have a party, it is understood that you will give advanced notice to all your neighbors, although you are not required to invite them. Kids being kids, they are not covered by this house rule and are allowed to make general kid noises anytime they please.

During these times (although adherence to the midday pause is going the way of the Dodo) you are not supposed to vacuum, do laundry, play the stereo or TV too loud, drop off bottles in the recycling bin, or basically do anything that might annoy the neighbors. If you're the dickhead who lives above me, this includes walking (read stomping), and singing German marching songs from WW I, or if you're the Russians who live next door, simply opening your mouth in general conversation. In other words, loud.

Sunday is the big no-no. Sundays are reserved for (and this is one of those things that makes Germany a great place to live) going to Oma's for coffee and cake, walking in the woods, or strolling through town looking in the shops, all of which are closed. Everything is closed on Sundays except gas stations, shops in train stations, and bars and restaurants. This is not a bad thing ...if you haven't gotten it by Sunday, you don't need it.

I will admit, I've broken the Sunday rule from time to time. Most people in the building have a washing machine in their apartment, but for those who don't there's a pay washer and dryer in the heated laundry room, along with a number of clotheslines. The laundry room is directly under our apartment, and while I can't tell if someone is doing their laundry, my philosophy is that if they can do their laundry under my apartment on a Sunday, I can do my laundry IN my apartment on a Sunday. I've also found the occasional need (and when I say need, I mean NEED) to vacuum during the Ruhezeit. I try to do this as quickly as possible, and I always close the windows so no one can hear me. So far, no one has complained.

This (finally)brings me to the point of today's post. There has been ongoing construction (hammering, drilling, pounding) on the floor below me since the day I arrived. My old roommate, who left on Saturday, complained about the noise nearly every day, told the staff he deserved a discount, and left early because of it. My new roommate, who arrived yesterday, got in his car and drove home after his therapy today so he could relax in peace and quiet. I understand work must go on, and it really hasn't bothered me that much ...until they started hammering, drilling, and pounding AT 1000 SUNDAY MORNING!!! It's now 1905 on Tuesday night and they're still at it. This country's going to hell in a handbag.

Lunch today was Schnitzel with a mushroom sauce. This gives me the perfect excuse to post my favorite mushroom photo to as many people as possible in one fell swoop. I took this picture in the Morvan, considered by many (Frenchmen) to be the Arkansas of France.

No comments:

Post a Comment